Monday 3 October 2011

01/10/11 - South Medwin Water


Biggest Hill Pool
Time - 18.00 - 19.00
Water - Crystal clear, not low, but not high either
Where - Parked at the farm track ford & fished upstream in the hill pools, then a quick shot at and above the humpback bridge
Weather - Windy, drizzly
Methods - Size 3 mepp
Total - 3

Species - Brown Trout
Size - 6.5-8.5 inches


6.5 inch
With time running out in the trout season, I made my way to Dunsyre to see what was on offer. Initially drove thru the village and along the farm track to the weir. The track is becoming difficult to pass and an off roader would be well advised next time I attempt the mission. Had a quick thrash in the weir pool, but nothing showed itself in a favourable looking spot.

First 8.5 incher
Moved upstream in the increasing drizzle doubting my decision to persevere. En route witnessed at least a thousand geese, maybe as much as five thousand or so, migrating in their V formations, in half a dozen or so groups. Took some footage, but in the grey drizzle and at the height they were at, not really worth adding the clip on here. Tried my luck in one or two small runs, the burn is pretty small this far upstream with no success. At the first decent pool I connected with a 6.5 incher, resplendent in a real buttery brown colouring and flapping about like the wild burn brownie it was. An absolutely excellent wee fish and suddenly everything was worthwhile again.

Best saved til last
At the next and biggest pool, prospects looked outstanding. After a couple of missed taps, I managed to get my second fish, marked and coloured exactly as the first fish. However on closer inspection, there was a problem with its tail. At first I assumed it had been nibbled a bit, and that may have been the case. But it was probably some sort of fungus/wasting type infection. Otherwise the fish was lovely.

The very next cast I hit the jackpot again with another 8.5 incher, this time without any problems. Fish of the day to top things off. If these are the fish that make their way downstream and into the Clyde, then the Clyde is a lucky river indeed.

With the rain and potential for lying water in mind, I made my way back to the car to get back along the farm track before things got too slippy and puddles got too deep at the risk of becoming stranded.

At the humpback bridge, I had a wee peer to see what, if anything was happening. Upstream there is a shallowish pool which slopes right into shallows before running under the bridge. At the tail of that pool, there must have been 8-12, 7-9 inchers lying which were spooked by my silhouette and made themselves noticeable as they made for cover in the deeper current. I fished from the bridge up for a few small pools and runs, but generally the pools were too small. Nevertheless I did manage a couple of half decent bites.

Last stop was the pool immediately below the bridge. I opted to fish upstream into it from the right bank. I was tapped a couple of times when casting right into the inflow but was unable to make them count and called it a day after a right good covering.

1 comment: