Thursday 1 March 2012

01/03/2012 - Eliburn

Time - 1400 - 1700
Water - OK, same as yesterday at inflow, quite cloudy in main body of lake
Weather - Overcast and mild with biggish 20 min shower about 4pm
Where - 3rd peg on the arm and next to inflow
Method - Various maggots and bread, details in report
Total - 5 (3 ide, 2 Perch)

With an arsenal of bait I had plenty of options for attack. With all pegs on the 'south-west' bank and the bottom corners taken I decided to start on my favourite 'arm' peg. There was little reason for optimism as there didn't seem to be much showing and so I began on a simple maggot/float set-up deciding not to employ the 2nd rod yet.

There was a heck of a din coming from the trees down near the dam end somewhere and after about 15 mins it showed itself. There was a tractor type vehicle coming up the path which turned out to be a seriously noisy tree shredder, the noise not being any shredding, just the motion as it edged slowly forward. The operators then fired up a chainsaw and started attacking a tree that took a little bit of coercion to finally come crashing down. None of this was helping my headache and I was pretty sure it wasn't much good for the fish either. After 10-15 mins of nothing I'd decided to move when a 5 inch Perch took the maggots. At least there was something about but I was hoping for a little more. So I chucked out Rod 2 with some chopped meat and gave it another 15 mins. There was no further action and when the chainsaw got fired up again as well as the chopped tree now being shredded I was off to the inflow spot I'd fished the previous day.

17.5 inch fatty
I was delighted to see no ducks or especially swans and chucked out some pieces of the healie bread I'd brought. In no time there were fish swirling and taking it. So I put a bit on the hook and cast it out. Needless to say my bait remained untouched while the other bits of bread were taken one at a time. I chucked some more bread in and this time cast a bit farther past it. Again, most of the other bread was taken before eventually my bait disappeared and I was into what I was sure was a wee carp. It soon became apparent it was something else and into the net appeared a big fat Ide which tipped the tape at 17.5 inches. After checking my records, it comes up .25 of an inch short of my record taken at Eliburn (29/10/2009). Most probably about 3-3.5lb. Good enough and the first time I've taken a fish at Eliburn with this method.

By the time I had it in the net the swans had appeared and hung about so I didn't continue with bread on the surface and switched to maggots with the float. It was the usual with shadows cruising about and hoovering maggots on the drop. I lost a small perch and a Ide/Chub/Roach of about 10 inches and there was plenty of interest. I then had the brainwave to put some bread out on Rod 2, usually reserved for meat cubes. Although the fish were being beaten to the bread on the surface by the swans, if I attached an unsqueezed piece of bread to the weighted line, it would pop-up and sit a few inches off the bottom should anything take an interest that far down.
Double hook-up

After setting that out I returned to the mags and soon hooked another Ide. As it came near the net, Rod 2 screamed off too. I managed to net the 1st one and get the 2nd rod in time to keep it on. The result was two Ide of 15 & 13.5 inch.

Just as I released them a lady & her hubby arrived. She said I was lucky as she'd not brought her permits book but asked if I could move from the area I was fishing as it was a "sanctuary" for nesting birds. As optimistic a regulation as I've ever heard and unfortunately typical of the way so many fisheries seem to evolve. The only sanctuary was for for detritus and plastic bottles, but rules are rules and so I had to move 10 yards to my left and out of the way of the hotspot. My biggest recomendation for Eliburn would be that the folk who take your fiver should carry pincers and a bin bag and do a wee clean-up ontheir rounds. I know its not 'their' mess exactly and I wish brain dead twits didn't litter, but if you're running a fishery and charging folk for the privilege of fishing, a little TLC would go a long way.

Despite a couple of other bites, probably small Perch, there were no more fish to be landed. Apparently nobody else had caught a thing, something that always surprises me at Eliburn. Unless you're solely after Carp when long periods of nothing happening are to be expected, there's no reason not to howk out something at any time of year. Firstly, if your not catching or worse, getting no interest at all, then move. Not a notion I believe most orthodox coarse fishers seem to live by. Maybe its the amount of kit often required and the prospect of hauling it all somewhere else. And secondly, get straight to whoever is catching and find out what they're doing. My Plan A, get a small hook an a fine leader, attach a float and put 2-3-4 maggots on. Then get it out. Start at distances or spots you've caught before but don't be afraid to drop it in right in the margins. If nothing happens increase the depth right down to 5-6 foot if you need to. And if all that doesn't work, MOVE.

2 comments:

  1. Great blog! Full of useful tips.

    I was wondering if you had any other tips for fishing Eliburn? I've been up there a few times and been very unlucky.

    Many Thanks,

    Steve.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apologies, just noticed your comment. If you want, give me your email in another comment box. As soon as I see it I'll remove it so its straight back out of the public eye. Then I'll give you any more help I can.

      Cheers.

      Delete