Saturday 9 March 2013

26/02/2013 - Pumpherston Pond

In all it's glory
Time - 1615-1745
Weather - A balmy 5 or 6 degrees, no wind
Water - Clear, still
Method - Worm & maggot
Total - 1
Species - Perch, 8.75 inch

Having swithered between Pumphy and Torness for my previous soiree, I took advantage of the improvement in the weather to check out the 2013 version of Pumpherston Pond.

Waiting on a bite
Half of it's bank is effectively the adjacent golf course and there is no doubt what takes priority. Needless to say its not the anglers. But I hoped the time of year might mean the course was quiet enough for me to be able to fish as much as possible and that's how it turned out.

I chucked out two floats, one suspending some maggots which have taken some half decent (for me) Perch in the past and a worm on the other rod.

I'm led to believe that if Perch are present, a worm is almost cheating, but I've yet to catch anything at all ever on a worm. Can only persevere.
This shows how pleasant Pumphy Pond can and should be

About this time last year I tried Pumphy, but the water was clogged with weed and difficult to fish. On arrival I was delighted to see that this wasn't the case this year, further, the water was as clear as I've seen it. The only problem with this, is the amount of litter and detritus that the good people of Pumpherston feel they must scatter here, is on full display. For an amenity with such potential, and doing not bad despite its current level of disrepair, it is obviously very undervalued and left to fend for itself. I can't help think the golf club miss a trick here (I understand it's on their land).

A right fatty
Although smaller than the nearby Eliburn, this venue would benefit from a good clear out and the construction of a few pegs/marks to fish from. They could easily be shielded from incoming golf balls and the greenkeeping staff could surely act as bailiffs and go round a couple of times a day taking a fiver from the fishers just like the members do at Eliburn in a system that seems to work fine. With a little bit of stocking, say some Roach, Gudgeon, Bream or Rudd to compliment the Perch, Pike and Tench already there I think it would be a nice little top up of funds for the golf club in a time when every penny is a prisoner. But what do I know, all I'm suggesting is the owners maintain it to somewhere near it's full potential, maximise it's profit, and provide an excellent little venue for locals to walk, fish, spot some wildlife or just feed the ducks. That said, I am not blind to the litter that some less enlightened anglers discard doing themselves and those of us who obey the country code a great disservice.

Straying back to fishing it turned out to be one of those unusual days that seem to happen more than they should, namely one bite - one fish. After a good half hour of nothing at all, a couple of yoof arrived and began fishing on the brick pier. Claiming past Pike and Tench to 4lb kept my optimism afloat. Whilst semi-expecting a Perch, there is also the hope of a rogue Tench picking up my bait. As always, can only but try.
Bait and prey

After about an hour, having cast around a lot more than usual, my maggot float finally began to show signs of interest before disappearing altogether. A nice tubby Perch was soon hauled onto the bank. Although I couldn't quite make it stretch to 9 inches, it was still most welcome.

I kept on until dusk before packing up and heading back to the car. By the time I did it must have been getting back down to zero and I was delighted to get a heat back in me.

2 comments:

  1. Anyone fished this pond in 2016 ??? Any results

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anyone fished this pond in 2016 ??? Any results

    ReplyDelete