Monday 22 April 2013

19/04/2013 - North Esk

Fancy meeting you here!!!
Having branched out for miles in either direction, there were still a few of my local pools requiring a first visit of the season. I began at Telford's Bridge in enticing conditions, but very quickly I got the feeling that the story of the early season so far was about to repeat. Specifically - nothing doing. The top and bottom of Telford's brought nothing so I decided to head up to the pool just above the outflow to the old fish farm. It's usually good for a bite, and it wasn't unknown when the fish farm was there to find an escapee Rainbow Trout, usually at least 2 1/2 lbs although the condition usually left a bit to be desired. but any port in a storm.

However, there wasn't a single drop of water from the outflow where usually there is a cascade. I was aware the fish farm had been put up for sale a couple of years ago, but didn't think it was still open. While the lack of outflow could be due to the silting up of the lade above the Serpy Weir (see previous report), I was ultimately saddened that this looked like the end of surprise rainbows on the Penicuik Esk. I don't recall getting any in 2012 and think my last one may have been early 2011 so that would appear to be that.

I made my way downstream through the (overfished and already tree-decorated with bubble floats) Corner Pool and on and on, but with absolutely nothing to show for my efforts.

My final pool was the Ele's Hole, a large pool with a big waterfall crashing into it where I suspect the largest of this area's brownie's will eventually be found. Having fished about half of it for nothing at all, I finally felt a thud and this time it wasn't a snag. I could immediately tell it was big, but very quickly it exposed itself by shooting out and clear of the water. Lo and behold, after writing off my chances of ever encountering another Rainbow Trout on the Esk, here was one going crazy on the end of my line. Spending almost as much time in the air as it did in the water, I eventually coaxed it onto the bank and set about measuring and photographing.

After some fumbling about I got it back into the water and it shot off as if nothing had happened. Obviously in excellent condition, measuring 18 inches and probably 2 1/2 to 3lb in weight (fresh out the fish farm it would probably be more like 4lb.

So, whilst the brownies resolutely decline to play ball (where do they hide in this weather?), it's good to find a bonus Rainbow lolloping about as if it owns the place. I'll maybe give the fish farm a wee visit to find out if they have indeed stopped farming. if that's the case, I'm pretty stumped as to where this fish originated. Whilst not impossible that it made its way here from upstream, I suspect it has arrived there from downstream (on the basis of no evidence whatsoever).

If you look at its fins, the pectoral, pelvic and anal fins are all in excellent condition. The dorsal fin has been cropped to about half size at some point in it's distant past and there was also a small chunk out of the bottom of its tail. I suspect this latter damage may have been more recent, either simply from rubbing against something, or maybe an encounter with a furry brown thing. But it appears to have been in the river/wild for a good few months.

No comments:

Post a Comment