Sunday 20 November 2011

19/11/2011 - Pumpherston Pond



South Bank looking East
Time - 14.00 - 15.30
Water - Quite clear, very weedy
Where - All accessible points
Weather - Mild, slight breeze
Methods - Maggots, float
Total - 1

Species - Perch
Size - 7 inch

The recent advent of full time employment combined with the time of year and reducing hours of light have contributed to limited (no) opportunities to wet a hook resulting in about six weeks of frustration. Finally I was able to grab a wee sesh at Pumpherston Pond, having considered trying the F&C canal at Kilsyth or Falkirk. Best chance of avoiding a blank tipped me towards Pumphy where the Perch are usually most accommodating and there is always the chance of the odd surprise.


On arrival I was pleased that the weather was pleasant enough without too much wind, as Pumphy is reasonably open. First inspections though showed the pond to be choking with weed (too much weed, what an unusual complaint). This seemed to be the case for as far as I could see out before the reflection took over even around to the golf green which had no such problem this time last year. Will need to bring a rake and a rope the next time to dig out a swim.


There was the usual amount of litter for this venue. This wee pond has bags of potential yet seems to be used as a litter bin by many of the locals. And as is so often the case, a lot of the litter was from Anglers. I suppose one good thing about the litter of other anglers is at least you can get an insight into their methods and quarry as there was an empty pack of Sprats, so obviously, someone must have been after Esox Lucius at some point recently. While I was setting up and absorbing this, I saw a Great Spotted Woodpecker in the woods behind me, alas, it was too shy to let me get a photo, but a bonus sighting nevertheless.


Fish of the month so far (from a shortlist of 1)
So I dropped some mag's into a hole in the weed off the brick 'pier'. No action. So I scouted around the bank a bit more. It was apparent I was going to have my work cut out due to the profusion of aquatic growth.


On the bridge next to the green, there was an open channel of water out through the weed and I noticed around half a dozen fish gliding away from me, most probably Perca. The golf course has big scary signs up now prohibiting fishing. So, applying common sense, seeing that there were no golfers on that or any adjacent holes and being unable to fish anywhere else, I chucked my hooked mags and a sprinkling more out into the channel. Nothing for 2 or 3 casts. I then inadvertently used the 'Perch Inducement Method' that seems to work on the tiddlers in Eliburn. I'd cast out, but due to discrepancy between where the float & bait hit the water, the float was over the channel, but the mag's would fall onto weed. So after I'd cast and the mag's had had time to drop, I suspected they may not have fallen to their intended suspended depth and gave a little pull to dislodge them. If maggots are suspended and there are Perch about, often a small tug, imparting a little 'artificial' movement to the mags seems to angry up the Perch and induce a take. As soon as I'd adjusted the bait, the float went under and I was delighted to be in to my first fish of the day/month.
However, there were two sets of golfers coming into range so I made sure I was well out their way and this meant leaving what appeared to be about the only fishable bit of the pond. I had a dip along the south bank casting as far as my set-up would allow hoping to get past the weed I could see, but I was generally getting entangled and so the sesh petered out to an inevitable end.


With some daylight left I decided to have a wee look at the weir on the Almond at East Calder. I've seen prolific amounts of fish trying to clear the weir here before, although in early October if my memory serves me correctly. There hadn't been much in the way of rain or high water recently, so I wasn't really expecting any migratories, but you never know.


The weir at East Calder.
The river was at normal enough height, not low, not high. Before too long there had been a few jumpers. Most if not all were Brownies, mostly about 8 inches with one or two being no bigger than 12 inches. It is quite likely that I was viewing repeat jumpers, so if I say I saw 25 jumps, I reckon half of those were the same fish on more than one occasion. Although not paying full attention, most jumps were taking place in my wee corner. I only noticed one fish jump at the far side of the fish ladder. I'll include some video I took below once on my pc.

No comments:

Post a Comment