Thursday 13 March 2014

Loch Ness & Caledonian Canal

Caledonian Canal looking north to Loch Ness
Having many opportunities to sneak in 20-30 minute sessions around Fort Augustus this year has had me in hot pursuit of my very own Loch Ness monster.

Alas I have absolutely no fish to report despite it looking likely at all times. I've viewed a couple of eels and plenty of minnows in the canal as well as one very small jack pike, but nothing in the canal or loch has bothered to give me a look in.

Fishing where the River Oich flows into Loch Ness one day during a strong flow something did flash at my lure quite far out and I also had a follow close in. The first was maybe a trout or maybe a Salmon, the fish being about 3-4lb, but hard to be sure and the second was probably a trout of about a pound.

The tactic has been a large rapala with wire trace hurled as far as possible and retrieved at top speed. This approach worked really well on Loch Chon and is my go to tactic where there are Pike about. Earlier attempts in the canal with a jigged Lake Fork Shad also failed to yield.

No comments:

Post a Comment