Wednesday 18 July 2012

13/07/2012 - South Esk

Time - 2030 - 2130
Weather - Dull
Water -
Method - Size 3 mepp
Total - 1
Size - 6"
Species - Brown trout

Having enjoyed success the day before I decided to have another crack at this spot, despite other rivers getting back to temptingly fishable levels. The water level had dropped appreciably with the steps on the overflow visible and the length of the white water at the foot of the overflow much reduced.

The fishing was completely different. Whereas before I'd been almost pestered by bites, there were none at all on the first short stretch. Finally behind the overhanging tree I got a take from a small brownie of 6 inch. And that was it.

So an excellent lesson in the fishability of this spot. If my second visit had been my first, I'd have thought it hardly worth bothering again. Quite surprising how much of a difference the water level can make between very high and high. Elsewhere I'd say very high is unfishable and high is good. This spot is better when really high. Makes you wonder where the fish appear from when its high and where they go in normal conditions.

One other factor to consider is that on the 12th July I covered the whole stretch and most of the fish with the spinner. Only a day later I tried again with little interest. While the water level was definitely a factor, there may have been some fishy learning taking place.

No comments:

Post a Comment